1983 NBL Champions: Auckland
The 1983 season was the second year of the NBL. The two bottom teams from the 1982 season, Palmerston North and Hamilton, were relegated to the Conference Basketball League (CBL). 1982 CBL Champions Wellington, and fellow CBL team Napier were both promoted to the NBL. Auckland claimed consecutive titles, defeating Wellington in the in the Championship Final.
8 teams contested the 1983 season (final standings): Auckland, Wellington Saints, Napier Sunhawks, Waitemata, Canterbury Rams, Centrals, Nelson Giants and Porirua.
Auckland (80) defeated Wellington Saints (77) (Referees: Keith Milligan & Robin Milligan)
Season Award Winners:
- Most Outstanding Guard (Keith Carr Trophy): Kenny McFadden (Wellington Saints)
- Most Outstanding Forward (Commissioners Cup): Ben Anthony (Auckland)
- Scoring Champion (Alan Bland Memorial Trophy): Kenny McFadden (Wellington Saints)
- Rebounding Champion (Garry Pettis Memorial Trophy): Robbie Robinson (Napier Sunhawks)
- Regular Season Winners: Auckland
- Best Team Free Throws (Nial Forsyth Trophy): Porirua
- Ben Anthony (Auckland
- Thomas DeMarcus (Napier Sunhawks)
- Stan Hill (Auckland)
- Clyde Huntley (Canterbury Rams)
- Kenny McFadden (Wellington Saints)